PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Ground incident at Pearson Airport
Old 6th Jan 2018, 11:57
baggersup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pineapple frenzy...I completely agree with you.

But every time this happens, no authorities ever do anything at all about it even though they always have extensive videos outside the plane showing exactly who the culprits are.

Then there are lengthy "discussions" on the board saying oh well you can't legislate common sense etc. (as though what they are doing is mildly annoying and just violating a teeny little "law" instead of putting people's lives in direct danger.)

I doubt this incident will change things, though I wish it could. If the federal authorities in the respective country arrested and tried them and they did some time with a huge fine for breaking all the aviation laws, it would focus people's minds very quickly. But it is never treated like the serious crime it is.

I was on a chute situation many, many years ago in the Midwest. When the crew said evacuate we did.

No delays, no retrieving our stuff --nothing. Just one guy who was seated away from his friend kept holding up the line near the front standing in the aisle looking back down the plane behind him for his friend, like he was at a night club.

He was lifted roughly by two pax who came up and didn't even pause as they tossed him aside and he ended up arse-up in the window seat. He recovered quickly and got his tail out into the aisle and down the chute.

I don't advocate rough justice but we had smoke and a wing that was just about to erupt and sparks were flying. So 2 male pax "solved" the problem with him in an instant. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I suggested to a friend who is a captain that when on take off or approach there should be a locking mechanism on all the overheads and it is engaged when the landing seatbelt sign goes on and it's last call for landing. Then the only way it gets disengaged is manually by the crew after arriving safely at the gate. And also locked at push back until the seat belt light goes off on cruise.

But of course he said too expensive to solve the problem--it will take people dying when trapped by these morons before anybody cares. And even then I'm not sure they'd put teeth in the laws and prosecute.

It just seems to be a problem that has been allowed to go on forever and nobody seems to care.

People also don't realize that when they hold up the evacuation they also are putting cabin crews in danger! They are responsible for getting everybody out and a delay somebody causes could mean their deaths as the last trying to evacuate.