PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Ground incident at Pearson Airport
Old 6th Jan 2018, 04:02
PineappleFrenzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the CBC story, there are yet more reports of passengers trying to retrieve their carry-on items during an evacuation. I'm sorry folks. I know there are few practical ways to prevent unhelpful passenger behaviour. But stories like this infuriate me.

Transport Canada and airlines really need to do a better job emphasizing and enforcing fundamental standards of passenger behaviour. I think it's time for the public to wake up and recognize that everyone on board an airplane has responsibilities---including passengers.

If it were up to me, everyone witnessed trying to retrieve their bags during an evacuation would be charged under section 7.41(1)(c) of the Aeronautics Act:

(1) No person shall engage in any behaviour that endangers the safety or security of an aircraft in flight or of persons on board an aircraft in flight by intentionally:

(a) interfering with the performance of the duties of any crew member;

(b) lessening the ability of any crew member to perform that crew member’s duties; or

(c) interfering with any person who is following the instructions of a crew member.

(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1) is liable

(a) on conviction on indictment, to a fine of not more than $100,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years, or to both; and

(b) on summary conviction, to a fine of not more than $25,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than eighteen months, or to both.