PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryan Air pax exits overwing ..
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2018, 03:50
triploss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slip and turn
Nor does the EU airport I often use. As I mentioned earlier, the FR UK inbound and EU outbound to UK same aircraft flight (and maybe others - I have no experience of those at this airport) always mixes the airside inbound and outbound queues airside of passport control in both cases. Passport control inbound is separately manned some distance from passport control outbound and both are the closest functions airside to the aircraft. Bags to the hold can be identified with the credentials of who dropped them, but as there is no further check that those people ever get on the aircraft or whether instead, they double-back after passing through gate checks and scans and passport control, but then leave the airport with the inbounds, the hold bags can no longer be guaranteed accompanied on the outbound flight, now can they?
This is exactly the way it's supposed to be. Passport control is completely independent of boarding, all they're responsible for is checking that you're able to enter the country and/or that you didn't overstay when leaving the country. Most EU and Schengen airports do this: passengers from the UK (and US) are dumped directly into the departures area of the non-schengen gates. They can then proceed to another gate directly without passport control if they're continuing to a non-Schengen country (arrivals from non-sterile countries go through security first, but no passpot checks same as UK/US). Passport control is only needed if you either want to exit the airport, or go into the Schengen departure area.

The bag matching is done when boarding passes are scanned, at which point passengers should no longer be mixed. (Also, many airlines count passengers when boarding so a mismatch would be detected if someone didn't scan their boarding pass.) Flights to the UK also _have_ to check passenger ID when boarding, so bags are positively matched to an identity - but that's separate from passport control run by the immigration authorities. Most schengen-internal flights don't do that ID check when boarding, but they still match bags against boarding passes.