PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHC Beaver down in Hawkesbury
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2018, 23:55
aeromariner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Connedrod
The breaver in standard form is not fitted with a stall warning system. It also dose not have a pilot operating manual or handbook.

Robbies, air ag, superspread had the worlds largest operating fleet of these aircraft , approx 85.

Large superphosphate heaps of over 1500 ton (imperial)
A breaver on a good day strip etc will lift a ton and will do 100 ton a day.

Awt wings where fitted with a stall warning. Awt where a aftermarket wing shaped like a c185 of sorts.

What i am saying for the ill informed is a stall warning will not provide anything and is proven with the amount of flying hours that just thoose 3 companys record would show.

And as for the seats once again irrelevant. The floats show damage back approx 5 feet. The prop blades are pushed back and are around the engine.
The front screens would have pop out and provided zero resistance to the inflow of water. No seat would have provided any protection with the force of water going into the cabin.

One has to feel for all thoose involved in this accident. The ceo and owner interview was extremely moving and heart felt. To stop all operations shows what a quality operation this is. To the maintenance personal who also must be worried sick.
Having been placed in this position myself with a similar accident i feel for all thoose involved.
The familys of Vh hts who,s have had all thoose memeroies revisted one cannot say words in your pain.
I was originally going to post a sarcastic reply, but broadacre superphosphate operations have little relevance to float plane operations in and around lakes and ravines. - The previous accident (IDI 1996). Whether there was massive water inrush would be shown by the unzipping of the fuselage skins - difficult to see. Structurally float attachments at the front of the float are really strong (for loads from the plunge case). Hence there is a violent pitch (one way or the other) on impact. The fact that it stayed upright is significant. As for us "ill informed", who reckons the beaver would meet the flight requirements of FAR23 (let's say at amendment 45)?