PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2018, 22:47
lucille

Received 115 Likes on 60 Posts
I left Australia in 1985 to work overseas - and never returned. In hindsight, this was the best thing I could have done both for professional advancement and T&Cs.

I was shocked to discover that employers overseas did not consider you disloyal for writing up snags and they actually did they very best to fix them ASAP. After flying ancient 18,000 hour old PA31s in Oz, it was also a shock to my system to actually sit in brand spanking new aircraft and smell the leather as I picked them up from the factory. All beyond my wildest dreams in my GA days in Oz - and still beyond the wildest dreams of Aussie pilots. You can probably count on your fingers the number of Aussie based pilots who have sat in an airframe with less than 10 hours on it. And yet elsewhere, this is quite unremarkable and not uncommon.

I really cannot see anyone worthwhile coming to Australia on the indentured servitude terms which occur here. As an aside, do the airlines still only give F/O's the second class type rating which is non portable?