PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2018, 05:02
MikeHatter732

Received 90 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
[The very fact that we have not even tried any terminal Class E airspace at a non-tower airport shows the incredible resistance to change – or possibly because of the lack of people with the ability to show leadership at CASA.
There is Class E down to 700' AGL when Rocky tower is closed (i.e. a non-towered airport).....

Originally Posted by Dick Smith
When I became Chairman, there was a proposal to introduce a system called FISADS, which was an artificial display screen showing positions of aircraft in uncontrolled airspace, taken from dead reckoning from the flight plan.
The current TAAATS system, for non-surveillance aircraft does a similar thing. The controller enters in the ETA of the waypoint on the electronic flight strip bay and the flight progress tag moves along at a rate which would make sense for that estimate. I think it is a great idea for increasing situational awareness in non-surveillance areas (and from what I have seen on my visits to the control centres, is quite accurate (comparing it to Flightradar24 for example, where a household ADS-B reciever is picking the plane up when Airservices receivers are not).

I believe there is also a similar system for estimating positions based on ADS-C uplinks from the aircraft, but one of the real controllers on here could probably confirm that.