PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - About to Embark in Aviation
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2018, 04:42
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
ntj, I am very biased so be aware of that when you read my 2c worth...

One question worth asking is, what is your motivation in becoming a pilot?

Do you want to learn to fly because you want to be an airline pilot? or
Do you want to be an airline pilot because it means you get paid to fly aeroplanes?

That probably didn't out quite right but what I am getting at is, are you passionate about aviation and aeroplanes and wanting to get a job flying them is part of that passion?

Or are you after an interesting career and being a pilot seems to be an interesting path to choose?

Both are valid motivations and can lead to a rewarding professional future in aviation.

If you are in it more for the love of flying, my suggestion would be try doing a TIF (trial instructional flight) at a good flying school that is passionate about flying.

If you are looking at this more as an interesting profession rather than a real passion, try the uni course.

One of the advantages of the uni course include having a qualification that you can potentially fall back on if the flying doesn't pan out as expected. I understand some students in the uni course do not go on to finish the flying component but concentrate on the other parts as they find the flying isn't for them.

One of the advantages of the flying school route is it can nuture your passion and open your eyes to more careers as a pilot than just being an "airline pilot" (although doesn't rule that path out either - just it may take a bit longer and often is not quite as straight a journey).

Most schools offer a discounted TIF that will get you hands on the controls and can help you decide if flying really is for you and also if that school is for you.

Even if you don't want to go the school route, worth looking at doing a TIF anyway - it may make you think that flying is not actually what you thought it would be - better to find that out early rather than invest in a field of study that isn't going to be what you are after.

Also be aware - many people think pilot means "airline pilot". There are more pilot jobs than just airline pilot. They often aren't as well paid or glamorous but can be richly rewarding and satisfying in other ways.

Hopefully someone will post something advocating more on the uni path for balance as I think it is a valid option too but I would tend to push you more to the flying school path if you want to get into aviation because you are really drawn to flying (providing of course you pick a good school that has a passion for encouraging flying).

Like I said - I am biased - good to hear from those with alternative views though.