PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cyber Bullying Pilots
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2018, 09:07
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts
Back in the days of the rotary dial brings to mind something from the past.....

In my second job in the 'paradise' of PNG I discovered one morning that all was not as it seemed!

Long story made short; It turned out that all Pilots of the Company I then flew for received on average about one telephoned death threat per week!!

They were invariably anonymous, the caller refusing to identify themselves (for obvious reasons) and fairly abrupt in terms of time taken in the call and verbosity.

I was briefly somewhat perturbed upon learning of these threats until a regular at the Club Dero who was a high ranking member of the PNG Constabulary quietly pointed out that if someone really means to kill you they rarely, if ever, inform you of that beforehand!

The point of the above is that Life is on occasion not all that pleasant an experience.

And for what it's worth, I was somewhat unmercifully bullied right through out my Schooldays because I was (then) a bit of a 'shortarse' (4'2" at age 14) and a spectacles wearer! So nearsighted I could not read newspaper headlines beyond about four feet distances.

(At 16 I was 5'9"though.)

I will concede that these days cyber bullying can be and probably is a damn sight more vicious than the which I had to endure but I will also never ever forget something that a Prefect at the College I attended in 1967 once said to me when I had just been rescued, a bit teary, from a bit of 'attention' from some more senior boarders....

"What are you? A boy or a Man? Drink a glass of wet cement and harden the f*** up!"

Just my take on it. Call it what you will; My opinion will not change.

There once was a lad called Firkin
Not written by Warwick I'll bet.
You're probably quite correct there, Megan.

I also doubt that either Murray, David, Keith or Richard were responsible for it either!

Last edited by Pinky the pilot; 6th Jan 2018 at 02:33.