PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2018, 04:27
Lead Balloon

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
Lead Balloon, you have obviously never heard of the concepts of unalerted See and Avoid and Alerted See and Avoid. The ATSB/BASI has some stuff on them. Based on your apparent lack of understanding of the limitations of the concepts, I suggest you read and digest.

Looking forward to my Class F CTR at Mildura. Or would a Class E CTR be better to protect me from those LCDs??
I have some passing familiarity with the substantial weaknesses of unalerted see and avoid compared with alerted see and avoid. That’s one of the reasons for it being very important never to assume that the only traffic around is:

(1) fitted with radio
(2) tuned to the correct frequency
(3) always broadcasting accurate positions and estimates.

(Yesterday I listened to a perfect inbound call to Griffith broadcast on 126.7. The pilot appreciated my response highlighting that 126.7 is not the Griffith CTAF. On almost every flight I hear Centre informing a pilot that s/he made a CTAF broadcast on the FIA frequency rather than the correct CTAF.)

Presumably you are never so imprudent so as to make any of the above assumptions? (Methinks Wot No Engines understands this point very well.)

But you are conflating the question as to how to increase the probabilities of being able to see so as to be able to avoid, on the one hand, with the question as to the objective probabilities of circumstances that objectively require avoidance action on the other. Rather than try to convince you of what the objective risks are, I’ll merely ask that you describe the airspace arrangements, avionic requirements and pilot requirements that will make you feel sufficiently ‘safe’.

It can’t be airspace in which aircraft are allowed to operate without radios. That knocks out quite a few classes of airspace. It can’t be airspace in which LCDs could be mistakenly broadcasting on the wrong frequency, or broadcasting mistaken position or estimate information, without you or a third party knowing. That knocks out quite a few more classes of airspace. It can’t be airspace in which aircraft are allowed to fly with U/S ADS-B / transponders. Gosh - options seem to have dried up...

What, precisely, are the airspace arrangements, avionic requirements and pilot requirements that will make you feel sufficiently ‘safe’?