PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computerized ATC
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2018, 03:21
parishiltons

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kcockayne
Surely you eventually come to a point when any more squeezing is impossible. I am thinking of one a/c crossing the holding point leaving the R/W as the next one touches down. That appears to me to be the limit. Or, am I missing something ?
There's always something more to be squeezed. Recent implementations are reduced longitudinal separation between two consecutive approaching aircraft from 3NM to 2.5NM, and reduced runway separation minima between an arriving flight and a following arrival (2400m, first aircraft does not need to be clear of the RWY. Conditions apply.).

Earlier initiatives aimed at reducing runway occupancy time include mandated rolling starts (ie no propping or stopping after entering the runway), no backtracking, preferred exit taxiways, generally better and tighter sequencing, adjusting the departure and departure/arrival sequence to achieve minimum wake turbulence delays, regardless of who taxys first, and so on. Automated integrated AMAN/DMAN is coming next to computerise the whole thing.