PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cyber Bullying Pilots
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 14:09
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Wawa, back in the day of your rotary dial, if you had people constantly calling and threatening you harm how would you have responded? They would have been anonymous as well (no caller ID afterall)? Would you just have suggested that person disconnect their phone and cut themselves off from it? How about if someone you loved was receiving anonymous threats? Because that's what I consider to be "Cyber Bullying" and has real effects on people.

Such things have gone on for a long time in many forms, people pushed over the edge by rumours and harassment, this is simply the latest form of it. Also I also don't see how people making threats would be evidence of their "Impending trans-sexuality".

The fact is that there are a lot of vulnerable people out there, vulnerable for whatever reason, perhaps their mental state has been affected by a terrible upbringing, perhaps they have a genuine disorder that means they're less able to ignore such things, could it be some sort of PTSD etc...etc... To simply suggest that people being harmed mentally by such things is a generational thing does nothing to help the situation and infact goes a long way to making things worse.

As I was trying to say, there's putting up a photo of yourself expecting everyone to be wowed but having them instead go the other way and be ridiculed for seeking attention and then there's people on the receiving end of some extremely nasty vitriolic personal attacks, things like bombarding their email and social accounts with death threats, doxing (which is where the search out your personal details such as where you live, your full name, where you go to school etc... and post it up for everyone to see). 2 different levels and one of which should not be confused for the other and definitely should not be ridiculed or played down.