PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 10:17
cats_five

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VX275
The Viking and Vigilants both had ageing aircraft audits carried out on them. Having read both reports I'm sad to say that calling for the pause was the ONLY action in this whole debacle Pippa got right.

What is the point of giving parachutes designed for adults to children? You can get cheaper cushions.
The BMk 71 and 72 used by the VGS had a minimum mass of 37kg, Irvins couldn't believe you could get cadets that small (Oh yes you can). At 37kg the parachute had an opening shock load in excess of 12g, Boscombe never knew the real reading as its test equipment only went up to 12g and that's what the trace was clipped at
I'm guessing these audits aren't publically available

As to parachutes as cushions etc., I know someone who has a phrase of 'if it will look stupid in the accident report don't do it' and personally I think using parachutes and a cushion to fit a 4yo in a glider falls in that category. BTW I hope the cushion was Dynafoam or similar energy absorbing foam, not squishy furnishing foam which can worsen injury after a crash.

https://members.gliding.co.uk/librar...s/safety-foam/

Trampoline accidents are similar to a high-g crash on normal foam - all is well as you sink into it, then it rebounds and it all gets painful. I speak from experience on the trampoline front.

On the flying front I did a horrid landing in front of the CFI at another club, and the person who came to help retrieve the glider was concerned about my back, which I knew was fine. The seat cushion is about 2cm of Dynafoam.

My glider was sent for a free heavy landing check by the CFI which thankfully showed it was fine.