PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 03:09
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonkster
The ICAO E definition says VFR is provided traffic where possible. I assume that means if you want traffic as a VFR, you can ask for it (and if ATC can assist will be given it?). Does the US E implementation have this ability?
Yes. If I were flying VFR in Class E airspace, (which I likely am, Class G airspace above 1200 AGL is pretty rare except in a few western states and Alaska) if I wanted traffic advisories, I'd contact ATC and request FLight Following. There are other common terms for it, officially it is "Radar Traffic Information Service" but I don't think I've every heard anyone call it that in real life. Here's an article that will tell you more about it.

Originally Posted by jonkster
Also for aircraft doing a VFR entry and then wanting an IFR "pickup", how do they get the frequency?

Obviously their system works - is it as mentioned earlier, do you simply call on the nearest outlet you find on the chart? (and because most of the airspace is E there you can safely assume the nearest outlet will be the one looking after E in that area?).
Yep, just call the frequency for the sector controlling your area. The US low altitude enroute charts have the ATC sector frequencies depicted in "Postage stamp boxes" (so called because the box has crenelated edges) printed within the area of responsibility.