PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Eastern European training into traditional UK/Western European carriers
Old 3rd Jan 2018, 01:35
Officer Kite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex Whittingham
Can you expand? There seems to be something odd going on at the moment. We are meant to be in the middle of the biggest hiring boom in years but I keep hearing whispers that all is not good. Maybe it is temporary.
Well it's only stuff that I am relaying from people who I know that have been through it first hand. Monarch took a few every now and again and with them gone its become worse. easyJet have cut their hiring of 'untagged' people bigtime and are likely to cut even more once the large number of their own 'tagged' cadets start to reach the end of their training throughout the course of this year and 2019. The tap will really run dry then. CityJet took 1 untagged cadet last year (got the job himself anyway, perhaps them using the school for their cadets helped his CV, who knows). Ryanair are the other big hirer, but really they hire people from schools in cities and places we've never even heard of and spent a quarter of the price than OAA grads so that's not something i'd be shouting loud about. Granted all this I felt the situation was described well by the word 'grim'.

I was having a convo with my uncle recently (non aviation guy) and he began talking about how he reckons my '62,000 euro license is not like the 100,000 one you get from oxford'. Rather adamant that my license will be inferior and will hinder me later on in life if I want to work for 'famous airlines'. I took a deep breath before attempting to explain the EASA concept and licensing system and how they're the same and one can become the other by a matter of mere paperwork, I didn't get anywhere mind. My point is this is the attitude and opinion many people have, aviation or non aviation minded (although one should be able to rightly assume that an aviation minded person is well aware of the game before parting with their cash).