PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA and cost sharing website FlyteNow
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 23:59
uberfleiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost sharing

Originally Posted by aussie027
The second part of squawks post describes the long held FAA position so I doubt they will have much of a chance in these circumstances.
I flew in USA for years and they are very strict on people trying to set up pseudo charter type operations in place of a private op.
Charter operators could try and sell empty seats on certain sites to try and fill them on empty legs of existing charters etc.

Here in Aust, if I post on my FB page I am renting and flying a plane to Woop Woop on such and such a date /weekend and ask if any of my friends want to come along and share the cost I think that would be legal as I am NOT a commercial business, and only my friends can see the posts, NOT the public. ie it is not "Holding out".

I have a document somewhere that explains what the FAA considers "Holding out" as naturally it is NOT defined in the FAR's. That would make it a lot clearer if it was.

Also I have an ATPL, not only a PPL, but of course that doesnt mean I can offer a "Charter type" service without an AOC in any country.
I think the Aust Regs define what constitutes are private flight reasonably clearly, been a while since I last read those specific sections.
I run a cost share group in Sydney. I run a "secret" page on facebook only available to members, only 188 of them. It works Ok and the posts don't even show up on my personal page! However, we advise our flights to members who must all friend me first, then be individually joined.