PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 23:21
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BRDuBois
The disengage handle when pulled disconnects the control cable from the boost unit for aileron, rudder or elevator, and simultaneously alters the mechanical advantage. The full range of the control surface is reduced by about half, and the force required by the pilot is about doubled.

Pulling the engage handle reverses the action.

I discuss this in the new chapter currently at https://we.tl/x0L59Bpfmj and it will be in the next release.
I will read with great interest. The schematic I am using for aileron architecture is “Spruematics”, via Lockheed. It shows no disconnect, and the aileron command loop proceeds no further than the boost quadrant. This suggests manual input remains terminus at boost quadrant, and the input is through the power arm, and slave, directly to the final arms, rods, bearings and aileron.

My assumption is that with a pull off of aileron boost, the quadrant shifts to three to one for net nine degree deflection. There is no relative increase or decrease in effort; the power mode is direct, manual is only one third of available deflection in Boost: thirty degrees in boost nine+ in manual...

Do you have the schematic showing this design?

Edit. Aileron in manual is not power limited? All effort at the yokes is translated directly into the system. I compute a possible value of twelve hundred pounds tension is possible. Even more if two athletes are turning the yokes. Potentially enough to sever a cable.