PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pre-noting Class D transit requests
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 22:53
good egg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I think it’s a good idea to reduce RTF loading I also think that it’s a touch early in its inception?
- How many of the TC radar sectors have transferred to electronic strips?
- Do any of these sectors have the ability to forward these e-strips to airports? (Airports with EFPS - Electronic Flight Progress Strips)

Until the radar sectors can electronically send a zone transit request to the relevant Tower position it seems like an opportunity missed.
In the same way that when a Tower requires a ‘radar release’ that the Tower controller can’t just send the request electronically (and the radar controller respond electronically) rather than making a phone call.

I’m sure that, in time, we will get there but it seems like this (what-seems-like) ‘simple’ ATC system architecture is missing?

The biggest benefits will only be realised when the radar sectors and the airports can effect coordination - or, at the very least, send relevant information - electronically.

That will be when GAT realise the full benefit of participation in systems like this.

Still, I might be wrong, interested to hear the views of users of the new system....“don’t knock it until you’ve tried it”?
It may be that adopting these new protocols provides benefits, even now, in the infancy stages?

I know that people complain about LARS...but without buy-in from GAT into systems like this then the ability to use LARS (due, principally, to RTF congestion) is limited.

First steps are always tricky but, generally, one step leads to another...