PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REDUCING THE CHANCES-OF STUFF-UPS
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 08:36
Capt Casper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I see it, GA as an industry, has been destroyed by bureaucracy.
Whilst I applaud Far Cu for starting a most worthwhile discussion, sadly I think there is no avenue to pursue it.
You don’t know what you don’t know. To know is to fully understand and relate understanding with experience.
I think it would be impossible, for a student pilot, to read, understand and comprehend CASA’s act, rules, regulations, advice and consistency - if they had a prerequisite degree in English and law and were given five years to study “aviation law”. An ordinary intelligent person has no hope of “knowing” the rules let alone learning and honing the skills.
It is wrong to assume that the “New Year’s Eve floatplane tragedy has anything to do with knowledge, ability, airmanship or equipment at this stage. It is wrong to presume the pilot, company or aircraft were at fault.
“REDUCING THE CHANCES OF STUFF-UPS” is a poorly worded title to the thread and I hope not intended to imply pilot error! What is more concerning is the implication in the second sentence of the thread starter’s post, in the absence of any evidence as yet. Again, I trust they are poorly chosen words.
I think, none the less, the intention of the thread starter is to genuinely explore ways of effectively improving safety awareness and mitigate incidents and accidents which were horrifically evident in 2017.
The “industry destroyed” is, in my mind the prime reason for our collective problem.
There are no aeroclubs, for likeminded people to associate, discuss and share experiences.
There are no country airports with infrastructure and support.
There are very few flying schools with modern equipment and dedicated instructors.
There is little community support and even less understanding of the contribution GA makes to a modern society.
Fuel is costly and hard to access.
Gates are locked.
CASA have no planes, no active industry knowledgeable pilots, industry commitment or industry respect.
Communications (phone and internet) deplorable at most airfields.
Most instructors are themselves students.
ATO’s are almost non-existent.
………………. and many more.
There are literally no avenues to discuss or learn what you DON’T KNOW. The support structures are gone.
Car Drivers, Truck Drivers, Boatmen, Gliders, Skiers, Parachutists, Horsemen, Footballers, Boxers ad infinitude, engage in pursuits that carry personal risk.
None have been pursued to the point of extinction as have the aviation community.
Unless we can restore what has been undone by CASA and the rest – viz –
List of departments and agencies | australia.gov.au
hang up your headsets and find another occupation / hobby.
[I have been an Industry participant 1962 – 2017 I wish all incumbents well in 2018 and beyond]