PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2018, 16:23
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
A Squared. Sounds pretty sensible to me as the calls are not on an ATC frequency. It’s all part of “ free in G” which has been stopped here!
I can't comment on whats going on in Oz, really. I just replied as I think you're missing some nuance about Canada. Like I said, technically your correct that it's not required by law. But I get the impression that you view it as an optional thing to participate on 126.7, whereas I don't think it's really considered all that "optional" in Canada.

Also, it might interest you to know that there is a push by the FAA in Alaska to get more VFR traffic on enroute advisory frequencies. This comes after a rash of mid-air collisions between VFR aircraft. There have been frequencies assigned for areas, mostly 122.8 or 122.9. I live in Alaska, so pretty much all of my personal VFR flying is done here. I can say that there has been a significant increase in VFR pilots reporting position and intentions on these frequencies. Of course these are not ATC frequencies, and participation is recommended, not regulatory. By it's worth noting that officially, the view is that the system wasn't working quite so well and changes were needed.