PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2018, 14:31
FO Cokebottle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plenty of airline Captains in Oz who got the position without 500 multi command (or any command beyond CPL training and basic ATPL requirements).
Hmmm, strange. I have been out of the Australian system for 17 years - (last position was a Chief Pilot of a piston charter company), so I stand corrected by the "slap down". It has changed....

ATP(A)L, CP(A)L does not permit a person to fly as PIC of a multi-crew aircraft in CHTR and RPT operations.

CAR 1988 5.105 (1) "(b) to fly a multi‑pilot aeroplane as pilot in command while the aeroplane is engaged in any operation other than a charter operation, or a regular public transport operation;"

Aeronautical expereince required is covered in CAO 40.1.0 para 8A.2, basically 50 hours ICUS, or 25 hours ICUS after an approved course.

The 5700KG threshold was dropped.

When researching my response, I did fine a Senate Inquiry .pdf on "Pilot Training and Airline Safety".
<http://www.aph.gov.au/~/media/wopapub/senate/committee/rrat_ctte/completed_inquiries/2010-12/pilots_2010/report/c02.ashx>

Point of note is Recommendation 5.

"Recommendation 5
2.282 The committee recommends that the Civil Aviation Safety Authority
(CASA) ensure that Part 61 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations currently
being reviewed place sufficient weight on multi-engine aeroplane experience as
opposed to the current recognition of glider and ultra-light experience."

This will go along way to answer the "ridiculously high multi engine minimums" question.