PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2018, 10:01
De_flieger

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
No doubt there is a constant barrage of calls on the “ area” frequency. Are your passengers forced to listen to those calls ? Is that relaxing for them?

Or do you just monitor the calls yourself?
There's plenty of areas where that isn't even remotely the case. I cant claim to speak for all of them, but in the areas I fly in I have one radio on area, and it is not an issue at all. It's not a barrage, I do monitor the calls. It's part of the task, and it's neither onerous or challenging.

What a lot of people have asked in these threads, myself included, is what specific changes you want, and I haven't seen any actual answers. You keep talking about half-rolled back systems and how things are done differently in the USA and the UK, and "My prime aim is to get an airspace system which is proven and with minimum differences to airspace used in leading aviation countries" but what are the specific changes? The actual differences from the current system, and what you want?

I get that one part of it (the only part I've seen explained clearly) is the removal of frequency boundaries from charts, and I dont understand why this in general is a desirable thing? Either the information is relevant, or it isnt. If it is, make it easy to use for pilots to determine unambiguously which frequency they should be on, and if it isnt, remove it altogether to reduce chart clutter. Maybe the equipment in your aircraft makes it easy to determine the nearest FIA transmitter, mine certainly doesnt, there are plenty of aircraft that dont have that equipment, and I cant pull out the protractor and dividers onto the EFB charts to measure which of three different frequencies I should be on. I get that there are locations where the current area frequency will not be received at low level, but another area frequency will, but these are nowhere near the majority of cases, and hardly seem to justify making the rest of the maps harder to use. It's not like this idea hasnt been tested - you may even remember a time a few years back when the charts were all issued without frequency boundaries, it wasn't much fun, people found them harder to use, and the frequency boundaries were very quickly put back on.