PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2018, 09:14
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
For Bloggs. Re Launceston

TThe Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has recommended a review of parts of the National Airspace System (NAS) after describing a mid-air incident over Launceston at Christmas as "serious".

The ATSB report found a Virgin Boeing 737 and a Tobago light aircraft came so close during the incident over Tasmania that a threat to the safety of the aircraft may have existed.

The bureau was unable to say exactly how close the two planes came, but passengers on board the 737 saw the light aircraft on the left side of the commercial jet.

Federal Transport Minister John Anderson says he is not embarassed that the new rules are being reviewed.

"I'm concerned to make sure we get it right, embarrassed, no, that would be far too weak a response," he said.

Despite the ATSB finding, the pilot of the light plane involved in the incident, Peter Scollard, says there was never any danger of a collision.

"At no stage was there ever any risk of collision," he said.

"This day was a beautiful blue day and if I ever thought there was risk of collision, I could have easily changed my course, or I could have descended 1,000 feet, or 2,000 feet, without any major problems, and I could have done that instantly."

Scaremongering

Air traffic controllers have raised safety concerns about new airspace regulations since they were introduced by the Howard Government late last year.

Mr Anderson has dismissed union concerns as scaremongering but has admitted incidents could occur.

The ATSB's investigation found the pilot of the Boeing 737 was in descent at 8,300 feet when it had to do an immediate climb to avoid a light aircraft travelling in the opposite direction.

The 737 crew did not see the Tobago aircraft, even after alerts from the traffic and collision avoidance systems.

The Tobago pilot did see the 737 and thought he would have enough room.

The investigation recommends the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and Airservices Australia review NAS rules for Class E airspace which relate to passenger planes, to help improve pilots awareness of the new airspace rules.

Virgin Blue has welcomed the findings of the investigation.

Public relations manager Amanda Bolger has commended the crew on board the 737.

"We believe that Australia has the safest skies in the world and we certainly commend our crew, who followed the procedures to the letter as per their many years of training," she said.

"There are always ways to make sure we can learn from our experience.

"Obviously our pilots will be working closely with Qantas, with CASA and other appropriate authorities to see what can be learnt from the report."

Mr Scollard used alerted see and avoid and the incident was beaten up anonymous people at the ATSB.

Last edited by Dick Smith; 1st Jan 2018 at 09:24.