PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2018, 07:39
cats_five

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chevvron
I was 'retired' 10 years ago (well below the age limit) as I was only attending gliding schools in my role as co-opted Wing Staff Gliding Liaison Officer and the Wing Co used this as an excuse to get rid of me; I was unable to attend the Squadron very often due to my shiftwork but the situation then was:
Uniform was free; issued from the Supply Section at our 'parent' RAF Station (Naphill; we were at Marlow). This applies to re-issues due to growth.
Cadet's parents were from all walks of life; we had one whose father was an airline pilot, another whose mother was a widow.
Nearest club would be at Booker which is entirely aerotow thus would have been expensive.
Booker has had a reputation for being expensive for a long time, and not because of no winch - the membership etc. is expensive, currently more than Lasham without the facilities Lasham has. Lasham OTOH has a really good deal for young pilots:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...12889632883819

I really hope that the issues that must have existed to ground a fleet of gliders have been fixed, otherwise the ones that are being returned to service are likely to end up grounded again.