PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2018, 07:13
Elephant and Castle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I admire peoples optimism about what technology can do but right now we are a long away from being able to build pilotless aircraft with anything like the reliability of current manned aircraft. For a start current AI systems work by feeding the computer millions of examples of what you what the computer to do and letting the system write its own code. From an aviation perspective a self written code with unknown failure points is just not going to pass any kind of certification. Only a couple of years ago Airbus issued an OEB that required pilots to manually turn off the Air Data Computers to force the aircraft into Alternate Law (direct control of the aircraft) in certain conditions to avoid an uncommanded dive. This is with a extremely mature design which is continuously updated and certified to current standards. Current aircraft have plenty of known and unknown bugs that require the pilot intervention. When Boeing and Airbus can fix those bugs and I don't have to do several manual computer resets in my working week, maybe they can begin to think about the other challenges of building a pilotless airliner.