PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2018, 04:25
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
No, Dick.

Originally Posted by Dick Smith
In cloud you cannot use see and avoid. Or even use alerted see and avoid.
You have simply not latched onto the idea that we don't do "See and Avoid"! We do "know/find out about and separate until sighting". That statement alone indicates to me you do not understand or have any experience in what goes on in the real world.

You also obviously do not understand that it is immaterial whether there's cloud about or not. And for your info, 90% of my flying out bush in in gin-clear VMC. As far as I am concerned, my operation doesn't change one iota. I know that visual lookout, even alerted, is as useless as tits on a bull when it comes to closure rates of 300+ knots.

With G it’s up to the lowest common denominator to choose a separation “ standard “. Could be set by a 300 hr very inexperienced pilot.
This applies, in VMC, to E as well, as amply demonstrated at Launy. I could be at the mercy of some low-time "expert" who "in his view" (your words) thinks we aren't going to hit. That pilot completely misread the situation because he didn't know what the 737 was actually doing, nor did he pipe up so that the 737 crew (and tower controller!!) could assess the situation. Instead, they got so close they got a TCAS RA. Do you consider that this is a satisfactory situation?

No it was not a “ radio arranged separation “ system that you obviously have your mind set in concrete over. That was in the 60s I am afraid. Times have moved on.
Well it should have been. If I had found out that he was opposite direction within a few degrees of my track, climbing through my level, I would have screamed blue-murder.

You don't seem to understand that E doesn't magically make IFRs operate in a different vacuum to VFRs. We're all there, mixing it, but now you have this warm and fuzzy feeling that IFRs will be separated and VFRs will use Unalerted See and Avoid to miss all and sundry. Well it doesn't work like that, and the fact that you will not admit it indicates to me that you either have so little real-world experience that you can't see it, or that you are ideologically driven.

Thanks for continually showing your ignorance on these issues.
Pot calling the kettle black, methinks!

There is no dual frequency problem in E . If cloud is at the minimum the IFR remains on the centre ATC frequency as VFR are not allowed in the airspace without a special VFR clearance from the centre.
Straight from the handbook of theory. What about if the cloudbase at Ballina is 1500ft, allowing VFR underneath, worse, say doing circuits, while the jet crew is being controlled on the Centre freq? You are dealing with absolutes; we deal with reality.

More importantly the VFR pilot continually stated that the ATSB had lied in the report in relation to the transcript of the communication.
Arr, the conspiracy theories start again.