PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHC Beaver down in Hawkesbury
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2018, 02:57
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
but as a single pilot it’s easy just to start a take off run without any self-briefing, especially if VFR. I think in training this should be addressed. Maybe today it is, but when I did my PPL/CPL training, I never had to say, "if the engine quits at 100 feet I’m going to land straight ahead. If it quits at 400 feet, I’m tuning 30 degrees left and heading for the golf course, however the wind is from the right so i’m going be extra cautious with the loss of airspeed ...and so on”

A lengthy quote - sorry.
I recall from my RAAF Pilots Course in 1952 that these sort of so-called Safety Briefings briefings so beloved by CASA and incorporated in todays flying school Operations Manuals, were never considered necessary. in fact they were never even thought of. To this day I still consider them as superfluous. In any take off, the situation is dynamic. It is impossible to self brief all the possible permutations that could occur. So what's the point in gabbling away to yourself apart from making your passengers feel nervous as you mutter away to yourself a meaningless ritual.

For example, before you drive your car from the driveway, do you verbally or mentally go through all the varying events that could occur requiring your instant action?

"If I see a kangaroo hop from the side of the road, I shall immediately assess whether I should apply the brakes or swerve to avoid it. The Threat is the moving kangaroo and I will identify that threat and manage it. If someone is tail-gating me on the Freeway (very likely), I shall move gently into another lane. if that lane is not free, I will stamp on my brakes and hopefully frighten the bugger to back off."
Get the drift?

For every second after lift off the situation changes depending on rate of climb, current indicated altitude (corrected for OAT in cold climates ) energy in store, IAS, flap setting, temperature and wind direction. You name it.
In real life you simply have to wing it - literally.

I’d be curious to know if instructors today make their students give a brief prior to each phase of flight?
This is something I get lazy with when flying alone - which obviously isn’t good.
See above..