PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia to give visas to foreign pilots to fix growing shortage
Old 1st Jan 2018, 01:07
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Who would want to live 150 meters from a busy international airport?

Oh the serenity!

How many FO's would be based in Sydney on that?

If the pay were the same as a 737 FO (or slightly more) would the pilot stay a say REX or still jump ship to say Jetstar?

Another interesting thing in the article is that Australian pilots are going to China and America due higher pay. These higher pays are offered as these countries have pilot shortages, so who is responsible in the USA for this shortage and what is being done about protecting jobs for Americans?

The jet time and rapid progression seems to be the main reason that Australian pilots are heading to the USA (have not heard much on China), and the money being a secondary bonus.

Many years ago a few of my pilot friends got jobs with CX on the 74's - I think they were fairly early B scale. They tried living in Hong Kong but did not like it so then commuted from Australia for a while. The money was excellent but after a few years they both headed to Qantas on a pay cut and loss of seniority, but a better life. I heard they progressed slowly to captains and assume they are still there.

When things start to change in China and USA, it might be wise to cut and run. Better than getting cornered on a A or B in quicksand.