PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2017, 22:20
booke23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by booke23
the CAB report is clear that the power lines were severed about 70 degrees from the horizontal. The investigators on the ground at the time won't have just guessed this, it will have been measured and is a major piece of evidence as to the bank angle at impact.....when you then consider that the captains AI was at 90-100 degrees at impact (possibly unreliable but corroborates the power line evidence). This makes a very strong case for the bank angle.
I made the above statement 2 years ago at the beginning of this thread. The CAB must have measured the cut cables to make the 70 degree statement in the report and they certainly noted the witness marks on the AI.

I'm all for keeping an open, questioning mind and following evidence. I wouldn't consider the measurement of the cut cables and the witness marks on the AI conjecture.

For me, the 30 degree maximum bank theory doesn't hold up unless you can dig up some evidence that the CAB made an error in the measurements of the power cables AND that somehow they interpreted the marks in the AI wrongly.