PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2017, 17:51
ExAscoteer

Location: Sneaking up on the Runway and leaping out to grab it unawares
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beardy
Fair enough. Although the RAF Museum interchanges the terms as does AP 1358, CHAP 7
The authority to wear the 'Flying Badge' is enshrined within QR (RAF) J727 where the term 'Flying Badge' and not brevet is clearly registered (I still have my copy pasted into my Logbook).

Specifically:

J727. Eligibility for Flying Badges. Sponsor: Gp Capt Flying Training (GCFT)

(1) The term "flying badge" is used to include all badges worn by personnel who have successfully completed a prescribed course of flying training. The initial award of a flying badge is on a provisional basis. It is not deemed to be fully earned until the holder has successfully completed an operational conversion or equivalent course and has joined an operational or non-operational unit in the capacity for which the provisional badge has been awarded. Joining is defined for each Service as follows:

(a) RN: on issue of the Certificate of Competence.

(b) Army and RM: on award of the badge.

(c) RAF: On initial award of either Combat Ready status or B1 flying instructional grade.

(2) When the badge has been earned, the holder may continue to wear it after they have ceased to carry out flying duties. Once earned, the badge may be withdrawn only on the directions of the Admiralty Board, the Army Board or the Air Force Board.

(3) The flying badge may be withdrawn at the discretion of the appropriate Service Board if the holder fails to complete the training specified in clause (1) above. The badge may also be withdrawn if at any time the holder is removed permanently from flying duties for disciplinary or other reasons.

(4) A member of aircrew who is qualified for more than one badge is not to wear a badge other than that appropriate to the particular flying duty in which they are currently categorised or mustered, except where MOD authority is granted. An individual who is entitled to wear a badge and is undergoing training for another aircrew category may continue to wear the badge of the former category until award of the flying badge of the new category.

(5) The authority for the entitlement to a flying badge is:
RN - MOD(DNW)
Army - MOD(DAAvn)
RAF HQ PTC (Gp Capt Flying Training (GCFT))

Any questions on entitlement are to be forwarded through normal channels to the appropriate authority mentioned above.

(6) Flying badges are to be worn as laid down in the dress regulations for each Service (RAF regulations are published in AP 1358 Dress Regulations for the RAF). Any questions on the wearing of flying badges are to be forwarded through normal channels to HQ PTC (P1(Cer)(RAF)).

(7) (RAF only). The type of badge to be worn is described in Para 206.

I think you'll find that a QR trumps an AP.

(Admittedly that excerpt is taken from an older set of QRs (1999) but I would suggest that the only real change would be to replace HQ PTC with 22 Gp.)