PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2017, 17:24
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by cats_five
But it does cost to belong to the ATC. Is the Uniform free? If not, how much does it cost? How often will it need replacing given the rate teenagers grow at?

What is the demographic profile of ATC cadets in terms of how well off their parents are?

Are you over-estimating the cost of gliding for under 18s at the average BGA club? Where I fly membership is £90pa and a winch launch plus up to 30 minutes is £8.

How much pocket money do children get these days? I don't think it's unreasonable for a child to pay at least some of the cost of their flying from their pocket money.

Finally have you seen how many schemes are available to help with the cost of flying for under 18s?
I was 'retired' 10 years ago (well below the age limit) as I was only attending gliding schools in my role as co-opted Wing Staff Gliding Liaison Officer and the Wing Co used this as an excuse to get rid of me; I was unable to attend the Squadron very often due to my shiftwork but the situation then was:
Uniform was free; issued from the Supply Section at our 'parent' RAF Station (Naphill; we were at Marlow). This applies to re-issues due to growth.
Cadet's parents were from all walks of life; we had one whose father was an airline pilot, another whose mother was a widow.
Nearest club would be at Booker which is entirely aerotow thus would have been expensive.