PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2017, 16:09
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BRDuBois
My video shows the nose hitting just under 400 feet from the first impact on the railway embankment. The CAB said it slid the remaining 820 feet, which would start the slide before the trees.
Uh oh..... does the report claim the distance from high tension wire impact to final position was 1200 feet?

That makes the distance between wires impact and RR embankment critical. Unless the wires and RR embankment were co-located?

Surely the distance between RR first impact and final pos. Is 1200 feet?

megan: I am having difficulty explaining my presumption re: safety wire, and jammed Boost power arm, (or, piston).

Is it your presumption that the “safety wire” is the sole source of thread lock?

Also, in the time between right turn and impact, one assumes the controls were manipulated with some passion, including rapid reversals. I can demonstrate that the tension available in manual manipulation of aileron command cabling is approximately twelve hundred pounds. Not the 2000 pounds Lockheed reports to severe the cable, (in tension), but a very respectable amount of force. Given inertia of fluid, it is conceivable that reversal can cause piston “stall”, or “bind”.

Thanks for your comments.