PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2017, 22:41
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
Jonkster. Sort of. Remove all frequency boundary lines from charts. Not just green ones. No other country has such charts. It’s a hangover from the old full position flight service days.

Re extra E. Do a trial at a radar covered and non radar airport. Check delays and cost .

Copy the best and incorporate with what we already do better.

Not trying to be deliberately obtuse or negative - I want to understand the implications of your proposal before I make up my mind.

Be patient as I am a bit thick. I think I am missing something.

The big thing I am not getting is why the depiction of frequency areas is a problem.

Currently VFR in G, I select a frequency based on the area I am in (obtained ultimately by looking at a chart).

In areas of high congestion (say a lane of entry) I will broadcast but mostly otherwise mostly just monitor. On the odd occasion I may contact flightwatch (eg I have a sartime amendment or perhaps want some updated weather unexpectedly due diversion). I also know in the unlikely event of an emergency situation I am in contact with someone with resources on the ground and with other aircraft in the area. Mostly though just monitor.

This seems to work OK from my perspective so I am not seeing it as a problem that needs a solution. Why is the depiction of frequencies an issue? - what is the issue/problem that gets solved or improved if the frequencies are not marked on charts? If removed, are the appropriate frequencies for an area available elsewhere? If so how?

In practical terms:

1. What frequency should I monitor if there is none marked on the chart? Is it a common aircraft-aircraft unicom or is there still a FIS frequency available - how do I find it?

2. if unicom, suppose as a VFR flight in G, I want to contact someone on the ground to get details or change something - (eg I have lodged a sartime and I need to amend it or want to ask for weather after an unexpected route change), who do I call and how do I find their frequency?

2. If unicom if I encounter an urgency/emergency situation and I need to alert someone, I assume the procedure would be to make a call on 121.5 is that correct?

3. If I encounter un-forecast nasty weather and want to make a short airep - who do I call? If someone else encounters that situation how do I hear their report? I am assuming all aircraft in my area will be on a common unicom frequency - is that correct - in which case I would make a broadcast on the unicom?

4. If I enter E, how do I know what frequency to monitor if it is not marked? Or do I remain on unicom?

5. If I want flight following, who do I contact and how do I find the appropriate frequency?

Genuine questions - I want to know how your system works before making any judgement.