PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maps are obsolete
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2017, 20:49
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
A lot of people seem to think that the chart plus. PLOG is “traditional” navigation, but it is not. For the first 25 years of flying aeronautical charts did not exist and pilots had to make their own. I am sure there pilots back then that turned up their noses at pilots who bought an aeronautical chart rather then go back to first principals and mark up a topo map to create their own aeronautical chart rather then take the easy way out and buy a pre made aeronautical chart.

Others though eagerly adapted the new charts because they made navigation easier and safer.

I would suggest the new GPS driven moving maps represent the same sea change in navigation technology. The Luddites will cling to the old ways but most will recognize the advantages of new methods and adopt them

Finally I think it is important that the traditional methods of navigation were designed to deal with the fundamental limitation of the time. There was usually no way to continually pin point your location in real time. Therefore the traditional methods helped you to predict were you were going to be and how to correct back onto track when you were able to fix your position.

GPS provides instant and extremely accurate real time position information which addresses the problem that traditional nav methods was designed to solve thus rendering those procedures obsolete

The sad part is GPS does not obviate the need to teach navigation skills it just requires that we teach those skills relevant to the technology, something that is totally absent in today’s flight training.