PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New cold war RAF pictures
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2017, 16:54
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MPN11

Certainly not boring or routine at LATCC or even Heathrow, the 2 places where I spent the bulk of my ATC career.

Not wishing to score points, but quite a few ex-RAF ATCOs struggled to make it at both places. One guy who didn't stand a chance at LHR had left at his 38 point - his last posting being a trapper and the penultimate, instructing at Shawbury.

I also did a stint at Boscombe Down, which had always had civilian controllers until CAA lost the contract to Airwork in '92, who then had to be replaced by the RAF in '93. Something that always drove us mad was calling Brize to arrange a handover on traffic, often fast-jet, going their way. The phone would be answered by Allocator's Assistant, then the Allocator, then Consul 'x' Assistant, then eventually you'd get through to the ATCO who would take the handover. Meanwhile our Jaguar or suchlike was now way north of Brize! That's pedestrian! Civilian controllers always answer the phone themselves!

Oh dear, sounds like a rant but is not intended to be. CAA ATCOs ( now NATS ) particularly at LATCC, SCATCC and LHR were regarded by pilots as the best in the world and I believe they still are.

Last edited by Brian 48nav; 30th Dec 2017 at 17:06. Reason: Addition