PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using a Slant Board:
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2017, 15:34
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
How old are you?

Risk. My guess is there's no way of knowing what will happen. Also, I'm not convinced it would be beneficial - despite being one of those that's tried it over the years. I liked the machines that held one's ankles while doing gut-busters. Did that into my sixties, and it must be evident that it's had no detrimental effect on me.

Quickly, something about why I used to hang upside down just in case it helps someone. Bit of a ramble, but . . .

It broke my heart seeing one of our local GP's suffering from a painful and jammed up neck. Finally, they said pain control was his only option. He retired still fairly youthful if not young.

It was such a shame. I felt sure it could be got right by manipulation while hanging, (I really disapprove of that gripping and wrenching thing osteopaths do) but I didn't dare experiment on anyone but myself with my versions of manipulation.

Anyway, we both agreed the risk of stroke was a significant issue.

I'd mentioned to him that since a judo accident when I was 18, I occasionally got exactly the same symptoms. Only had to bash me head while building a roof or some-such and I was hollerin' to the Rivetess to to the neck stretching thing. Hanging over a wall while she hung onto my head - the total weight was probably at least 30 lbs. Then turn it gently. It worked every time - for years. Decades, even.

Now however, can I risk my brain's vascular system? I would, but then I don't like being old, and also I have very low blood pressure. Someone that goes a delicate shade of puce while inverted probably shouldn't even think about it. I know I stopped any negative g aerobatics c 45 years old. Just not worth teasing at the brain with more than -2g and a sudden jolt might just cause a bleed.

Back to hanging. There's been a recent thread about backs. I used to hang for ages fully inverted. I was well past 70 and no lightweight. I'd be careful though, and it's no use saying build up to it gradually. I suppose the blood vessels might learn to stretch, but there doesn't seem to be any way someone over 45 could really know what was going to happen. I've lost a couple of friends to stroke and neither of them showed the slightest tendency towards vascular issues. One day they were fine, next, they weren't.

Tough call, but is it good science? I'll bet there's a lot on the net about stimulating one's brain but haven't got the mental energy to look.