PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 30th Dec 2017, 12:56
havick

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerry Springer
Ak ok, thanks...so really it would be an hour-building exercise for people wanting Jet time, and then to move back out of the USA - rather than a partway onto a Major Airline within the USA?
Pity no Green Card! Personally I’d love to try aim at a multi-engine Fixed-Wing Fire Fighting Job, but I don’t suppose they issue E3 visas for FOs on such aircraft?
Still, Jet time in an Airline might be worth pursuing!

What salary are Aussies currently on the visa with Regionals taking home?
Cheers...and thanks for the info.
If you include my signing bonus and working a bunch of OT I earned about 90k USD in my first year as FO at a regional. I’ve been working for the company for 14 months now and I’m just about to hit my 1000 hours part 121 required for upgrade, I’ll be upgrading in feb/mar.

As for fire fighting gigs I doubt you meet the contract requirements. USFS contracts require time in type as PIC, ‘x’ amount of bombing time, time spent mountain flying etc. I used to fly fire fighting helicopters on USFS contracts prior to switching back to the fixed wing world. Private companies with fire contracts do employ Aussies on E3 visas however you have to be a walk up starter contract wise without requiring anything other than a DOI carding ride. Any of the US forestry, calfire type government gigs require citizenship for any federal job.

Do you have any AG time in an 802 air tractor? That’s a good start for getting into fixed wing fire world. The company here in the US that I flew B212 and B412’s for in fires had their 802 fixed wing pilots on $1000USD/day + per diem +$500/Flight hour flown on a 12 day on 2 day off roster.

I’m here in the US on a green card (wife is American), so I do have a pathway to a major here.

Last edited by havick; 30th Dec 2017 at 13:07.