PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2017, 10:29
cats_five

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chevvron
But there is one very major difference.
Apart from travel to/from the gliding school, the instruction to solo standard cost the cadet or their parents NOTHING, ZILCH, ZERO!(In fact when I started I'm sure you could claim travel expenses). My father worked 6 days a week so saturdays I would hitch hike(wasn't dangerous in those days)but sundays my father would take me.
No BGA club would be able to offer this on such a massive scale; I started learning at 613 just after my 16th birthday when I was still at school before I even took my 'O' levels and there's no way my parents could have afforded to pay for it.
The same would hold true today whether a cadet's parents are rolling in it or on benefits, the 'experience' would be available to ALL cadets on equal terms.
But it does cost to belong to the ATC. Is the Uniform free? If not, how much does it cost? How often will it need replacing given the rate teenagers grow at?

What is the demographic profile of ATC cadets in terms of how well off their parents are?

Are you over-estimating the cost of gliding for under 18s at the average BGA club? Where I fly membership is £90pa and a winch launch plus up to 30 minutes is £8.

How much pocket money do children get these days? I don't think it's unreasonable for a child to pay at least some of the cost of their flying from their pocket money.

Finally have you seen how many schemes are available to help with the cost of flying for under 18s?