PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2017, 06:52
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
Dick, I notice that you are conspicuously silent with your solution to my problem of two IFRs simultaneously being controlled by ATC and having to deal with two VFRs in the circuit on the CTAF. A call to your brain's trust in America, you know those types that do actually fly heavy metal (unlike yourself, isn't that right?) for a living into and out of these E+CTAFs, is allowed.
Not Dick, but I do fly large aircraft into airports in the US with no tower or approach control services. Here's how it works: If both IFR aircraft are arriving, one aircraft is held above a certain altitude until the other reports on the ground or cancels IFR If one is arriving and one departing, either the departing aircraft is held on the ground until the arriving aircraft reports landing or cancels IFR, or; the arriving aircraft is held at an altitude above the MEA, until the departing aircraft is clear of conflict. Occasionally, the departing aircraft is given a heading to maintain which will keep it clear of the arriving aircraft which allows the arriving aircraft to be cleared to lower altitudes, sooner. This last procedure is used at airports where radar coverage is good to low altitudes and allows ATC to acquire the departing aircraft on radar quickly. As far as the VFR aircraft in the circuit, it's see and avoid. Normally, they would be broadcasting on CTAF, and the IFR traffic would be monitoring (and broadcasting) on the CTAF. The VFR traffic would not normally be communicating with ATC. They are, after all, VFR.

No idea if this supports or detracts from Dick's crusade, but that's how that situation works in the US.