PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C17 at Gutersloh today
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2003, 22:00
Didntdoit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fjs

No - I do not feel, speaking for myself, that the point is missed at all. Speaking as someone who regularly had to schlep from Brüggen to HAJ/FMO/PAD, to handle aircraft, I can assure you that one would have much rather handled military aircraft on a secure military airhead. However, Brüggen, whilst having a great golf course, was slightly to the left of BOAR's centre of gravity, unlike Gutersloh. That is another four beer conversation.

Maintaining a fully functioning air transport airhead capable of handling fully loaded pax/freighters etc is not a simple matter of switching on some lights and having someone around with binos and a radio (with, of course, nuff respect to my ATC colleagues). Fire cover has to be maintained to a certain standard, the surfaces have to be maintained and there also should be a certain level of navaids for 24/7 ops (I would have thought). So - set up is always easy, it is the sustainability that is not.

Whilst Bertelsman may well be paying a fair wedge for the privilege, I would amazed if what he pays would actually keep the airfield operational. Surely we do not have people in contracts who are that good?

I'll get me coat.