PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2017, 14:53
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by megan
No it doesn't, it just says the outboard flap jack was removed, presumably to see if the twist imposed by airloads was sufficient to cause interference with the aileron.
Thanks megan.

I’d like to offer a definition, one I post without researching, iow, from memory. Would you read it and comment? Thanks.

Safety wire: Safety wire is used extensively in aircraft applications. It is a “Fail safe” component, added to existing structure to prevent “catastrophic failure”.

Is safety wire a part of the structure it protects? Yes. And No. If a safety wire’s presence prevents a fastener from falling completely off, has it done its job? Absolutely, yes. But, is the structure safe for flight without a safety wire attached? Practically, yes. Administratively, NO. If the safety wire prevents loss of a fastener, the system is already assumed to have failed.

If a safety wire is not installed as it should be, what part of the structure secures the threads? In the case of cabling, an adjusting nut would be tightened to the correct tension, and a serrated washer and locknut would be added. This assembly is considered safe, as part of the “design consideration”. The structure is fully functional without the safety wire. Can the aircraft be released to service without the safety wire installed? Yes, but not legally, unless a waiver is secured.

Thank you again, I’m here to learn.