PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus ready to ace A380 if it fails to win EK order.
Old 29th Dec 2017, 09:07
Odins Raven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schnowzer
We all know the Trip wins hands down on direct operating costs. The value proposition has nothing to do with those operating costs but rather slots.

The average 380 carries 150 pax more than the Trip so if the 380 were to replace the Trip into London everyday, Emirates would lose nearly 1,000,000 passengers/year. Or need 4 extra slots and 6 more aircraft, 60 crews, support etc. etc.
When the 380 was originally being mooted, wasn’t this the objective of the aircraft - translatlantic shuttling between slot-constrained major airports? It does that job VERY well.

The problem is that more and more airlines are exploring point to point services rather than hub and spoke. The modern less-patient pax wants convenience as well as low fares. The likes of a 787/350 can do that.

When EK ordered 120 of these behemoths, I don’t think it was out of arrogance or ego, just a lack of foresight to see the amount of competition in the region and with far eastern carriers linking Europe and Asia.

I’d be interested to know how many are leased from non-Dubai Companies and how many are actually owned by the airline/Dubai - if it’s mostly overseas lessors then I’d be worried more for them than EK!