PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2017, 03:35
g-code

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an observer from “across the pond”, you’re in a tight spot for a few reasons and maybe I can provide some clarity on things within the US.

The barrier to entry at an airline is much lower compared to the U.S.
This is compounded by companies having the ability to register and base around Europe based not only on regulation but also salary.
Finally, as far as I can tell from lurking here, there is no union in the EU with scale like ALPA that exists in the US/Canada.

There are so many committees at the individual airline and national levels that do so much. For example, there are literally volunteers visiting universities and large flight schools talking to students about the profession. You can imagine their reaction to uninformed newbies expressing their desire to fly only the shiniest of RJs no matter the wage.

ALPA has also in the past held airline-specific job fairs involving the recruiting teams of major airlines...the only way to get a ticket was to be an ALPA member in good standing.

It almost horrifies me to see comments on this thread stating that £130,000 is somehow some kind of princely sum for an “easy” gig. Especially given the cost of living in London, it should be almost double that flying 85 hours per month in the left seat.

Im not saying the US system is better, I made $18,000 dollars my first year at an airline. We did a lot of four day trips, so I was literally hauling 5-6 cans of ravioli and packages of ramen noodles in my bag.

What I am saying (based on what I see...corrections are welcome) is that given the obstacles you are facing that are unique to Europe, the unions like BALPA and VC need to merge and collaborate much more closely than they currently are. You’re being pattern bargained against by every airline in the EU, and your unions need to wake up and become an EU union!

Every Ryanair, or Norwegian, or SAS Ireland out there is the enemy. The compensation is irrelevant. It’s the model and the “contractor” type employment offers that bring US pilots to these boards frothing at the mouth. Why? Because at the next BA, AF, or LH contract negation, the company is going to slide it across the table. The next negotiation or two after that? It’ll be at Delta, AA, and United.

This is an environment that requires communication and engagement from the rank and file at every level to reverse the trend.

“If you’re going to fight, fight like you’re the third monkey in line at Noah’s Ark, and brother, it’s starting to rain.”