PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2017, 21:05
knobbycobby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Shortage

Whilst I’m opposed to 457 visas the government has risked a significant backlash
Due to what must be an extreme SHORTAGE.
As others have said ad nauseam. But what many have failed to understand is that
Despite visas there is a GLOBAL shortage.
It’s simple supply and demand. The overpaid multi million dollar morons in management have been used to pilots queuing up en masse to fly.
Due to both arrogance and ineptitude they have failed to see that the youth of today are not choosing to learn to fly. Why?
High costs to train and management have created poorly paid subsidiaries that make it even less atttractive. Traditional jobs have become more flexible, higher paid and more desirable. It’s just not a cool Job anymore.
Working 5 to 6 early starts of day returns with no overnights and ****ty pay is not what people aspire too. Yes you may get to a mainline carrier but the odds are poor. The airlines have created this problem.
I personally don’t blame the younger generation. In fact I discourage any youngster to fly unless he or she fancies working very hard for very little money.
That’s the sad reality for most learner pilots.
But the fact remains that a mass of retirements are coming globally in a large chunk. It will be hard enough for the legacy carriers.
All a 457 Visa does is plug a hole in a wall for a short period of time.
Market forces and supply and demand ultimately prevail.
The irony is a non interventionist Liberal Government is using poor policy to stop market forces.
Won’t work forever.