PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2017, 18:58
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
Just a couple of points, which will no doubt be ignored as most of my comments are:

This thread has been running 11 years now. Given that these carriers are supposed to be build with an intended 50 year lifespan (working seals permitting), can we expect to still read comments here in 40 years time? If so I suggest the title of the thread is changed from "Future" Carrier.

The main gate decision to build these carriers was taken in November 2006. At the time the target In Service Dates for the ships were 2012 and 2015. I said at the time that these were wildly optimistic! I believe that HMS Queen Elizabeth was commissioned on 7th December 2017, with Initial Operating Capability in 2018, but an In Service date? Even if it's 2018, that's a 6 year delay on a 6 year target (yes, I know people will go at length about delays caused by decision of what aircraft type to use, conventional vs VSTOL, and subsequent redesigns - but it's still been 12 years instead of 6, and 6 was never going to be met in my opinion).