Thread: Aircraft Towing
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2017, 17:01
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Maddog808
Should an agricultural tractor be used for carrying out towing and ground positioning of general aviation aircraft? I am used to the tractors used in the commercial world so the sight of an agricultural tractor being used for this task is alien to myself. The correct tow bar is used however on the commencement of the tow the initial movement is more of a jolt rather than being smooth so the concern is this may place more of a strain on nose wheel components than a conventional towing/ tow bar-less tractor would. Anyone else had experience of this?
Never towed GA aircraft, but I have towed glider winch cables with an agricultural tractor and something called the " weak link".....a few strands of old cable knotted together came in useful.....this may give you a clue.

Depends entirely on the a/c size / weight of course, but that little item called a tow bar shear pin will only take so many, or even one good, "jolt " before it works as advertised. It can be quite "entertaining " sat in a commercial aircraft when this happens.

So that little "jolt" may not only potentially damage the nose u/c, it may also damage the aircraft if you have nobody on the brakes....

Not forgetting the driver and their competency if more than one will be towing.