PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check list concept of challenge and response
Old 27th Dec 2017, 16:34
+TSRA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tee Emm,

The original challenge/response was only one type of checklist that can be used by an operator (challenge/response, read & do, do & say, etc.) Each checklist is a tool that is best used at different times and the operator will determine what level of "check" is required. An operator may even mix checklist types where it is determined a level of oversight is required (e.g. a landing checklist that is done as a read & do except for the landing gear and flaps, conducted as a challenge/response).

When designing checklists for my last operator, I would take the AOM and sit down with all our management and training pilots to identify better ways of managing the checklists and the items within them. Often we would ask "do we really want this handled by just the one pilot?" If the answer was no, then we made it a challenge/response item. It the answer was "does it really matter," then we would discuss what method worked best for the anticipated cockpit workload when the checklist was to be actioned.

For example, what is the point of a challenge/response checklist is at FL350 where the only steps might be "cruise power, weather radar, seatbelt signs." There is none; none of these are critical flight safety items, ergo they don't need the same level of oversight that, say the after start checklist requires where the flaps are being deployed.

Discipline is a big part of managing checklists though, and you're right that an improperly handled read & do does no one any good. This is where the Captain must step in and force the First Officer to do it properly and do it properly him/herself. If done overtime, the First Officer will learn and ultimately become the Captain forcing a newer First Officer. I'd say 15% of my pairings have me asking the First Officer to re-do the checklist by grabbing it from the holder rather than relying on their memory.