PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Pilot
Thread: Jet Pilot
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2017, 16:29
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
My next door guy worked for AC as did his dad. He knew the entire flight crew in the film.
Originally Posted by Jet Jockey A4
Nice historical film on TCA and the pilots who flew there in the 60s.

I was four years old that year and yes I do miss the snow and the amount that fell back in those days... Mother Nature as changed and so as the working conditions for pilots since those days.

I had to laugh a bit at the crew rest period in Jamaica... Today it would be a quick turn-around, no relaxing by the sea while eating local produce. :-)

Notables from the video…

Although they mention a first officer was part of the crew the pilot in the right seat was a captain (according to his uniform). Was this just for the film or did TCA fly often with two captains?

In the clip prior to engine start you can see two rear view mirrors up on the main dashboard (one as to wonder why) and while on the takeoff roll they are not to be seen. Different aircraft or tucked away for takeoff?

While taxiing it is nice to see the older “prop” aircraft TCA was still running at the time. I believe you see some Viscounts, Vanguards and a snow covered Super Constellation at the Air Canada maintenance base.

I too noticed the "no engine anti-ice" in the after the start check list. The clip must have been taken from several flights because the weather conditions seem different from time to time in the clip. The takeoff was on RWY 28 at Dorval but then the in-flight portions show the east end of Montreal.

That bird sure needed a lot of flaps for takeoff in Dorval, but I guess it was a relatively short and contaminated runway for the DC8 with possible anti-ice being used.