PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2017, 10:42
Agrajag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
Why should a VFR pilot have to monitor what is the equivalent of the truck channel every time he or she goes flying? P No wonder GA is stuffed. Different if you are working and being paid not to relax!
Are you advocating a system where the amateur / VFR guy doesn’t have to communicate, but the professional does?

A few questions arise:

1. How do the amateur and the professional arrange to avoid each other? They’re in the same sky.

2. What jf the amateur is actually a professional, on his day off? Which rule does he follow?

3. What if the amateur wants to enjoy the same level of separation and safety as his professional mate?

FWIW I regularly find myself in category 2 above. I feel a responsibility to my passengers, or even just myself if solo, to minimise my chances of an unwanted encounter, and to fit in as smoothly as possible with other traffic. That means, among other things, communicating with others when appropriate.

It does not mean, just because I’m on a VFR pleasure flight, turning the radio down and trusting my eyesight to detect every potential threat. Nor does it mean happily accepting that someone else is doing so, just because he can’t be arsed participating in our mutual safety.

Every trainee pilot has been taught to use the radio, almost since day 1. It’s not difficult, onerous or time-consuming. And it’s complete insanity for aircraft in the same piece of sky to be using different frequencies, or none at all, when they have a choice.

Last edited by Agrajag; 27th Dec 2017 at 22:06. Reason: Typo