PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Service Medal for Officers
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2017, 02:01
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Selective awarding of Medals

One area that has been inconsistent has been to diplomatic staff in posts supporting operations or within the joint operational area.

I spent a bit of time (over three years) in a middle eastern state directly supporting operations from the Embassy, yet this did not qualify me for the operational medal. in contrast other personnel who served at a HQ for four months did. This risk and rigour aspect was debatable: all vehicle travel for me was in a civilian armoured vehicle and on occasions i wore covert body armour as well. I narrowly avoided two large terrorist attacks and the risk to life and limb was much greater and more persistent than those at the coalition HQs.

And then there was the shameful awarding of the Kosovo and FRY NATO medals to those who spent 3 or more months drinking cappuccinos at Frankie's in AFSOUTH/JFC Naples. I had served in both theatres and resented being regarded as a Naples REMF.

But it's also water under the bridge; I'm proud of my service and my medals but apart from the annual airing on Remembrance Sunday or the miniatures at a College dinner, i will never wear them or my ribbons again on a uniform.

I joined when few people wore medals; I have left when two rows are common (and justified), and as mentioned in an earlier post just qualified for the LSGCM and clasp. I dare say in a few years time the debate will continue to smoulder as those with a rash of operational medals leave.