PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who at Airservices was responsible for undermining the Government NAS decision?
Old 26th Dec 2017, 12:55
De_flieger

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Why the f#ck keep changing the bloody airspace and the damn rules? I have seen countless attempts since 1986 and it was all working ok back then. Why keep changing it? Pilots now have to be bloody lawyers to work this ****e out now. All I want to do is fly aeroplanes!
I think Zanthrus is on the money.

Beyond the name of a bureaucrat, Dick Smith, are you able to explain to me what it is you're wanting to do? The actual changes you want to make, as opposed to references to half-wound-back systems and better ways things are done elsewhere with different traffic mixes and equipment and oblique tangents about changes done and reversed and how MDX would be safe today in a different world with different equipment, training and facilities. All I would like to know is what the specific changes you want are, not the endless debate around the edges about who said what to who, and what should or didn't occur or did but was reversed.

In my personal experience it makes perfect sense to have the FIA frequency boundaries marked on the charts, and even more so in the era of electronic charting with nav displays and iPads - I can look at my chart and see where I am, and what frequency I should be on. Is the removal of marked frequency boundaries a big part of the airspace reforms? And if so, why? Either way the information is still there, and still relevant to pilots - having the boundaries marked just makes it vastly easier to use and less reliant on the imperfect judgement of pilots as to which frequency to be on and when to change, so people are much more likely to be on the correct frequency.

If anyone else is around, I can contact them on Centre and arrange separation if needed, knowing that if they are in the same area as me, they are on the same frequency. The idea of IFR flying without radios is mind-boggling...how are you supposed to arrange separation or be aware of traffic? The big sky theory only works up to the point someone coming the other way centre-punches you, and un-alerted see-and-avoid isn't a safe option once the aircraft performance gets up above small GA level. Even if you think you're safe being able to fly a light aircraft doing 60 kts no radio, it isnt much consolation when you get run over by something much faster out someplace remote and beyond radar coverage.